Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax on a Crank Up Tower

To: willemma@telkomsa.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax on a Crank Up Tower
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:59:26 -0600
Just let the cable bundle hang from the top and let it "pile up" on the
ground.  Forget the stand-offs at each section.

At VE6WZ I have the US tower HDX-589 crankup and at the top is a 3 foot
stand-off pipe clamped to the tower from which the cable bundle just
hangs to the ground. The cable bundle is 1- RG-8, 3- 8 conductor control
cables and 1- RG-6 cable.  The bundle forms a random, large loop on the
ground, and although not "pretty" is functional at my installation.

***This advice is not based on assuming this will work, but is based on
using this installation for 10 years and cranking the tower up and down
probably 5 times a week.*** (that would be over 2000 cranks, but is
likely half that since I'm not very QRV during the summer) This is also
done here in VE6 where the cable is sometimes snow covered and in
temperatures as low as -30 deg F. I have NEVER had the cable "snag" on
the tower.  I have added some plastic garden fence mesh around the tower
base covering any protrusions which might catch the cable.

Try this method and watch the cable as the tower goes up and see if
there are any spots around the tower where the cable might snag....if
so, add some form of protective mesh around those areas.

de steve ve6wz http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/index.html

Checked by AVG.
08/04/2008 5:03 PM