Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:50:40 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2008 5:59:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
richard@karlquist.com writes:

>  Here's what I don't understand (as a non  expert):

>  There are elaborate precautions to prevent rebar  from
rusting:  no rebar is allowed to be within an inch of
any  concrete surface.

>  OTOH, the anchor bolts are allowed to poke  up through
the top of the concrete and now you're telling us they
don't  even need to be galvanized.  FWIW, I have seen
a lot of apparently  galvanized anchor bolts on traffic
signals and light  poles.

>  Is there any logic here I am missing?  Or maybe  as
you say, the code is always right, whether it is logical
or  not.

    The rebar cannot touch the earth. It leads to  oxidation and exfoliation
and maybe even failure (in someone else's lifetime -  hi).

    Anchor bolts are not subject to the same  consideration since they're not
anywhere close to dirt.

    Unfortunately I'm not an engineer either so I  only know the practical
construction side of things.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH