Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:14:54 -0400
Most of the new highway light poles (at least around Atlanta) are what a GA
Power Engineer calls composite poles.  These are a combination of concrete
and a metal.  They are not crank up but come in 40 foot lengths.  You can
combine the lengths by using a big bolt to tie them together (may be two or
four bolts depending on height and structure planned for the top.

I watched them put up one at the corner near me which is a busy intersection
and they used two bolts and put a small camera at or near the top.  A second
was just one stalk (to use the Engineers term) and this holds up the traffic
lights.  These are put into the ground just like a wood pole with 8 feet per
40 foot stalk.  I have also seen some that mount on a concrete base with a
separate mounting base and heavy duty hardware.  These are typically tall
slender poles that hold a street light.  I remember Frank Cassen, W4WBK (now
SK) worked for a Design firm in Memphis who designed these intersection
poles (in 1970) and the hard part was building strength into the base mount
for high winds.

The price varies based on the diameter required but the Engineer said they
were much more expensive than wooden poles which go for about $2,000 for a
120 foot stick (again using GA Power terms).  The Engineer pointed out
wooden poles require EPA remediation upon replacement and that is why the
are often willing to give them away.

Just like a wooden poles, they use bucket trucks or cranes to have access to
the top.   It appeared to me that regardless of the price, the equipment to
put up a 80 footer (actually 68 feet) is quite extensive.

Flag poles are all aluminum so are therefore very expensive.

Dave K4JRB