Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles

To: Russell Hill <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:23:44 -0700
Russell Hill wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I am curious about the substantial and tall light poles seen along
> interstates and various interchanges.  They look to have internal cables,
> both mechanical and electrical, and could be in the ballpark of 100 feet
> high.  They have external pulleys on top so the light array can be lowered
> for maintenance.

They're a lot taller than 100 ft in some cases.. 200ft is available, as
I recall.

> They would not be very useful for Yagis, Quads, and the like, but with the
> internal hoisting cables might be useful for slopers, rhombics, high
> dipoles, etc.

You could easily put a rotator on the platform and hoist it up.

> I would guess they are quite expensive, but that is an assumption.  Does
> anyone know anything about these?

A couple or three years ago, I tracked down several of the suppliers and
posted it on the list.  There was a discussion going on about things
like tall wooden poles, the Pirod poles, etc.

A search of the archives should find it.

> And similarly, what about the BIG flagpoles seen at car dealerships and so
> forth?

Ditto..