Re: [TowerTalk] 45G tops

To: towertalk@contesting.com, frohro@wallawalla.edu
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 45G tops
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:13:43 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/2008 7:54:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Looking at a picture of the 45AG2, you should be sure your  rotator will
fit
through the Z bracing.  Also, it seems that if that  long mast sleeve isn't
perfectly aligned, you're guaranteed to have a mast  that is out of alignment
and cause serious problems for your rotator.   Finally, once installed, your
antenna and particularly any truss system  above it are going to be out of
reach, since there's no way to stand on a  45AG2.

All excellent points. I might also point out that  the taper tops are not as
strong as a flat plate top. I've seen 2 broken  pointy tops - one was 25G and
the other was 45G. There is just some smallish  welded metal holding them
together.

    And I saw a pointy top downtube that was welded  out of plumb. Yes, a
semi-fatal problem that wasn't caught on the ground.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

listings at AOL Autos.