Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Switch for Two Radios and One Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Switch for Two Radios and One Antenna
From: Jeff Stevens <jeff@mossycup.com>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 22:05:51 -0700
When using a coax switch to make one antenna accessible to two
transceivers, is it OK to use the switch between the a *tuner* and the
antenna?  In other words, can I use it if I have high SWR?

As an example, I would like to use one antenna with two radios.  Each
radio uses its own tuner (one is internal).  Can the output of the two
tuners be connected to a coax switch so they can each access (at
different times of course) the same antenna?  I believe I read somewhere
about one of the antenna switches I was looking at that the integrated
lightning protection would fail at high SWR.  This issue aside, are
there any other reasons a coax switch cannot be used in this
configuration in a high SWR situation (between a tuner and a
non-resonant antenna)?

Thanks to everyone who has provided a wealth of information about coax
switches.  I sincerely appreciate it!

-Jeff
KE7FRJ