Re: [TowerTalk] GAP voyager

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GAP voyager
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 17:56:00 -0400
I have significant first-hand experience with this antenna, having
owned two, one of them
twice,  and having written the manual.

Careful comparison versus full sized antennas on 40, 30 and 20
suggest that the voyager
is quite acceptable.   Any performance differences are more than
swamped out by propagation
dynamics during switching.

It's actually a very effective antenna on 75/80, and like any OCF
design, rather wide-banded.

Like its little brother, the challenger (?) (owned one of them, too,
and have forgotten).. it doesn't
do well on the lowest band.

One of the reasons I bought back my last one is the notion of
converting it to a simple 45' top loaded
vertical, fed against a radial field.   Switched matching networks
would make it function multi-band.
GAP uses good materials, and this thing is quite robust.   The tuning
rods would easily convert to
a gamma match system, possibly even one per band.

n2ea

Jim Jarvis, President
Corporate Coach
The Morse Group, LLC