Re: [TowerTalk] WTB: GAP VOYAGER and a ????

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WTB: GAP VOYAGER and a ????
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 14:24:53 -0700
On Thu, 8 May 2008 15:49:11 -0500, Daniel Hileman wrote:

>I just want a decent DX antenna on 80, 40 and 20m, and to cut my
>teeth on 160m and at a lower cost for now)

The only good reason for using the GAP (which I hear is not that
wonderful) is if you have no easy way rig wires (no trees, building,
or place to put a mast to hold the wires). If you have a way to rig
it, an inverted L (throw a wire over the top of a high tree) or top-
loaded wire is very effective on 80 and 160, and also very
inexpensive. A total length of 100 ft or so will load on both bands
with a decent tuner. It needs radials, 4 is a minimum, length is not
critical but longer is better, more is better. Layout is not
critical. Just get lots of wire laying on the ground.

For the other bands, simply build (or buy) a fan dipole. Also quite
inexpensive to build -- you need a center insulator, spacers (cut a
10 ft piece of 1/2 PVC conduit into 18 inch lengths) and two end
insulators. For the antennas, go to Home Depot or Lowe's for #12 or
#14 THHN (insulated house wire). For radials, #18 insulated is
plenty big enough.

73,

Jim K9YC