Re: [TowerTalk] antenna sling for tramming

To: wc1m@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna sling for tramming
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 08:09:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/11/2008 9:01:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wc1m@msn.com writes:

>   So far, TT members have sent me two methods. One attaches the tiller
pointing  towards the tower, and attaches the pull rope to it. Seems to me this

restricts how close you can get to the tower, but that's not a big deal in my
case. I like it because the tiller is held firmly in position by the haul
rope. I don't see how the antenna could turtle or twist. The other member
attaches the tiller pointing back towards the tram anchor and connects it to a
second pulley that rides the tram line behind the antenna. Any  preference?
I  haven't used it that much myself but the tiller going up the tramline
would  present some minor problems as the antenna reaches the mast. At least at

that point the antenna is pretty close to landing.
>   I haven't searched the archives on tillers yet. That search engine gives
me a  headache. Would that I could Google the archives.
I  just searched for tiller and got 16 responses from the archives.
>   We're using an 1800-lb electric winch mounted at the bottom of the tower.
Haul  weight isn't a problem. It's just controlling that beast at the top of
the  tower. Lots of inertia.

        QSL. That winch sounds  great.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC