Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question

To: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>, Erichardson@winnipeg.ca, towertalk@contesting.com, jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:09:35 -0400 (EDT)

N2EA wrote

><snip>
>
>Remember, a 90 degree bend in a ground wire is an inductor, and you
>want a low impedance
>path for strike current.   I would run that 1.5" strap from each
>tower leg, with an 18" radius bend,
>over the foundation, and out to each ground rod.

Is there a (probably empirically derived) approximation for the inductance of a
bend in a wire.  For straight wires, a handy approximation is 1 uH/meter.  For
a curve, are we basically talking about using a standard single turn coil
formula, with 1/4 turn?

Some online sites give quick and dirty equations along the lines of L=mu0 * pi
* radius.. in any case, an inductance around 1 uH for 1m circumference (radius
= 1/2pi meters.. call it about 6").

This would imply that the 90 degree bend is around 0.25 uH.  At 1 MHz, that's
an impedance of around an ohm or two.

Jim, W6RMK