Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:03:21 -0700
Per your comments, the two towers you refer to were isolated from the
concrete base.  That is the same condition described by Polyphaser for
the single semi-verified claim of an exploding base they could find.  If
the lightning path, which can be capricious if not channeled (and even
if it is channeled), decides to make its own unique path to ground
through the concrete, there is a good chance it can cause it to
explode.  I was able to find at least a few pictures of concrete
structures (bridges, roads, etc) that had been damaged by lightning in
that manner.  Most towers don't fit that category, though.  The tower
base or supporting bolts for most ham towers are embedded well within
the concrete, and as you say in that case (which means in most cases in
my mind), brute force bonding everything together and providing any and
all practical low impedance shunt paths paths to ground around or
through the concrete would seem prudent.  What some people don't seem to
get is that a wire through the concrete is in fact a shunt path to the
bulk of the concrete.

73,
Dave  AB7E