Re: [TowerTalk] Vert. 1/2 wave dipole vs Hori. 1/2 wave dipole?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vert. 1/2 wave dipole vs Hori. 1/2 wave dipole?
From: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:37:56 +0200
I did that comparison on 40m with dx stations only and it was a big
difference.
I used a L-tuner with my 1/4 80m vertical above 3km of radials 20-30m long
and used an inverted-V dipol at 30m height, ends at 20m. Distance between
antennas 150m with negiable line losses.
The dipol always outperformed the vertical by at least 6dbs in any
direction, on some signals the difference was approaching 10db.
The feedpoint of the vertical was very close to ground. I guess that it was
attenuated by the near ground and should have been much higher with it´s
feed point to perform better.

73
Peter