Re: [TowerTalk] 1/2w vertical v. 1/2w horizontal

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/2w vertical v. 1/2w horizontal
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 05:52:03 -0700
Very nice design.

>Here's the URL for Peter Viezbicke's description of the WWV HF
>antennas:

>http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/1420.pdf

Toward the end of the following Power Point (pages 64-69) is
another design for a half wave center-fed vertical. I got the idea
from Rudy Severns, N6LF, who shows a similar design on his
website, but with a simpler choke terminating the bottom half of
the dipole.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf

The original question was, how does this antenna compare to a
horizontal one? There are computed NEC predictions in the Power
Point. They correspond rather well to on-the-air comparisons with
my horizontal dipoles. There are NO radials under this vertical.
There are photos to show how it is rigged.

The pdf below compares a good quarter-wave vertical with a good
dipole using NEC predictions. The models correspond pretty well
with on-the-air observations on 160 meters. There ARE a lot of
radials under the 160M vertical, and I plan to rig an 80M over the
same radials.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/ComparingVerticalsandDipoles.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC