Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped in antenna trap confusion

To: "William Moore" <whmoore@sympatico.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped in antenna trap confusion
From: "N7mal" <n7mal@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:52:14 -0000
Bill here is what I've used for many years very/extremely successfully and
more important why.....
I've used the reyco traps. The keyword is traps. They really are traps, not
dipole shorteners like those ugly bulky high-gain things. An 80/40 meter
reyco trap dipole is only about 12 feet short but not where it counts. If
you use the KW40 traps the 40 meter portion of the antenna is full sized(33
feet). That 33 feet is also the full current portion for 80 meters. That is
why the term trap fits them and not so many other products.
I also have never used, and will never us, a balun on a dipole. I will stack
the performance of my dipole up against anyone using baluns and I guarantee
I will equal or beat them every single time.
I know there are a lot of engineers etc here who will provide all manner of
documentation but I'm an (cranky) 'old-fart' who relies wholly and solely on
practical/real world experience. I've tried baluns and for me all they add
is weight and expense.
Good Luck with your project
Again just my -2cents worth
73