Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped in antenna trap confusion

To: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped in antenna trap confusion
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:12:06 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

Nope.. thst works.. you can also start high and move low, especially if you've
cut long,

Either way, it's fairly tedious (that "work through a few cycles") if it
involves hoisting and lowering the antenna.  (At Field Day, we used it for the
GOTA station on year, and there, it was easy, because we had 4 people.. one on
the meter, one on the hoisting line, one on each end of the antenna.  took
about a minute per iteration, so in 15-20 minutes we were done)

Doing it with just the SWR meter and rig is quite tedious, esp if its the kind
where you have to "set" the fwd power reference (like my old FT-757)

One advantage of this kind of antenna is that it's truly a scrounger's delight.
 All you need is some wire and duct tape.  (Why yes, that essential tape that
serves as wire separator, and center strain relief/mechanical connector, AND as
something to cover up the bare wires where you've twisted them.)