Re: [TowerTalk] Lock nuts revisited

To: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lock nuts revisited
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:18:23 -0400
Charles Gallo wrote:
> On 6/22/2008 Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>

>> A while back we had a discussion on using lock nuts AKA jam nuts.
>>
> ...snip...
>
> Probably the definitive book on this stuff is Carol Shelby's book
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-Plumbing-Handbook-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0879384069

Please quote relevant text.  That is permitted under copyright and fair
use. I really don't want to buy another book as one wall of the living
room two in the basement and two in here (My den) are full (corner to
corner) book cases. I never throw books away. I still have all my
college text books and I graduated in 90. I have to admit I probably
wouldn't get very far in the advanced math books any more<:-)). I never
used any of it after a short stint in grad school as a GA.

Were we just putting two nuts together on a bolt, tightening them
together, and then turning in the bolt I'd agree that it would be
nothing more than moving the bolt head down the bolt, but that is not
what is being done.  The bolt is screwed in the desired depth and then
the nut is tightened down. This works just like two nuts jammed against
each other.  The torque required to remove the bolt increases
dramatically, quite possibly to the point of being unable to remove the
bolt with out twisting the head off.  You cant physically tighten the
bolt, or a bolt with the two nuts on it to that torque without doing
damage.  The main point is  this is easily demonstrated by almost any
one who cares to try.  HOWEVER, lubricated, cad plated bolts are so
slippery this is unlikely to work with them at least not until they have
set for a while. It does work with SS and Galvanized. It works
particularly well with SS which is what I use for most things.  I don't
use cad plated bolts as they eventually either become part of what they
are screwed into, or rust away.

> --
> 73 de KG2V
>
> For the Children - RKBA!
>
> Any given program, when running, needs debugging.
>  Any debugged program is obsolete.

Don't forget side effects.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com