Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:03:18 -0700
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:58:16 -0500 (CDT), Gene Smar wrote:

>On the contrary - I think operating 160M on a small lot like mine
>is a real challenge but it can be done.  I've worked 49 states
>(still looking for KL7) and over 50 countries on 160M with either
>an inverted L or my present shunt-fed tower.  Topband is an awful
>band for a variety of reasons - all the more for you to enjoy what
>DX you DO work.

I strongly agree. If you follow the link on my qrz.com listing,
you'll eventually find details of how I worked the lower 48, most of
Canada, and about 15 countries on 160 from my Chicago city lot in
about two years. The antenna was simple, and is detailed on the
webpage. A major limitation was RX noise. W3DQ also does some pretty
interesting things from a city lot in DC that is the same size as
mine was in Chicago. His 160M signal regularly finds its way to CA,
and in the most recent contest, I was running JAs when I heard him
calling me off the back of my JA Beverage!

I'll reinforce something else that was said here a page or two back
in this thread. No matter where you live, the key to success is 1)
STUDY, STUDY, STUDY the ARRL Antenna Book and at least skim the ON4UN
book; 2) Stare at your QTH from every possible angle and think how
you could hang/mount one or more of the various antenna types you've
seen in those books. 3) Concentrate on SIMPLE antennas, like dipoles
and verticals. All of us are limited by where we live and our budget.
But most of us can do SOMETHING that will work on SOME bands. 4) Like
the man said, don't lose a lot of sleep on the last bit of SWR. If
it's better than about 2.5:1, it doesn't matter!

73,

Jim Brown K9YC