Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"

To: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:03:03 -0400
thank you for the encouragement, and words of wisdom.

Nice web pages, especially the one on the flag antenna design,
as it is well laid out, has good explanatory text, and the illustrations
are helpful.   I especially like the overhead view showing your back
yard layout.  It gets the point across clearly.

You are the first to say one of those big tall verticals work well.
My difficulty is, of course, trying to figure out whether that would
work better than, for example, a Hustler 5BTV  or the like.   Or
the HyGain HiTower, or .... what else.  It is a great difficulty to
get useful comparative analysis.   I might just put up the
big tall vertical like you have, if I had sufficient confidence it would
be a good performer, and sufficiently efficient overall.

I like the photo of your matching unit -- it totally baffles me!
But it is clear that you have put quite some effort into the project.

I have some of those Jackite poles.  I am working on making some
different experimental antennas with them.   However, my only
downer at this point, is that so many people are suggesting that I
give up on the low bands, concentrate on 40 m in 20 m, and just
make contacts -- but that merely postpones the day that I want
to do well on the low bands.   I'm not sure why so many people
suggest I alter my goals, instead of helping me reach them, -
unless they are trying to tell me to quit beating my head on the
wall and just give up.   But that is not my nature, I generally
plug on until I find a solution.

Your point about frustration is appropriate and timely.  I am,
however, frustrated -- but not in a bad or critical way.  More like an
athletes who is trying to lower his time, to run, for example,
the sub-.minute mile...   it is a good sort of frustration, and is
leading me into all kinds of reading, research, and considerations,
which is, for me, the essence of the hobby.  I have not learned this
much, nor had as much fun doing so, in a long time.

Thank you for your participation and encouragement.

Happy trails and 73.    ----  Richards - K8JHR ----