Re: [TowerTalk] Any ideals on heliax channel out to towers?

To: <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any ideals on heliax channel out to towers?
From: "Pstark" <pstark@suddenlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:35:07 -0400
http://www.trenwa.com/ftp/Trenwa%20Catalog%202003(print).pdf

Pete K4OM

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Gary E. Jones
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 12:02 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com

I am going to run at least one, and maybe two runs of Andrew Heliax out to
my two towers that are about 500' from the shack. I want to run the heliax
and some other control lines out there by laying them in a channel ("U"
shaped) (like a piece of channel iron but not steel obviously) laid flat
in a shallow trench that I plan to trench out to the towers. I would like
something that also could have a horizontal top to the trench that would
cover it and I could drive over with my lawn tractor when I move the yard.

I would like a trench so that I could easily add or remove wires from the
lines that are in the trench as I make modifications to my installation.

However, I have come up with no ideas of what to use to do this. I have
thought of perforated corrigated (flexible) irrigation pipe that I cut in
half (lengthwise) to make the bottom half in the trench and then put the
top half over the bottom half to partially cover the hole and provide the
top. My land is 100% river bed sand (at the top of a hill) so I am not
worried about drainage as any water that would get in would naturally
drain out through the irrigation holes.

However, I keep thinking that there must be some other obvious material
that would work for this application (6" PVC pipe cut in half for example)
that I am not thinking about and should be considering. I assume some
others have used systems that have worked well and not broken the bank in
getting it done.

I don't want to bury conduit I don't think... I would prefer to have it
potentially exposed....

Any ideas or suggestions ??

            73

                     Gary     W5FI