Re: [TowerTalk] Any ideals on heliax channel out to towers?

To: garyejones@cmaaccess.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any ideals on heliax channel out to towers?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:29:16 -0400
Gary E. Jones wrote:

A couple of ideas to think about.

As this doesn't have to be fancy and the top of the cover is going to be
pretty much flush with the ground, how about plastic Evestrough laid in
a shallow trench and covered with treated 1 X 6s?  Cheap and should
stand up fairly well, although todays treated lumber sometimes leaves a
bit to be desired.

As far as that goes the bottom of the trench could be dirt with the
sides being 2 X 4s, 1 X 4s, 1 X 6s, or what ever is handy and covered
with a board the appropriate width. Use spacers every few feet to keep
the walls from creeping in.

OTOH plastic will stand up much better and is far more durable.  You
might find scrap pieces but even new 4" isn't all that bad for price (as
yet--it does come from petroleum).  Put a plastic junction box every few
sections, say every 20 or 30 feet apart, or what ever you find
convenient.  If it's pretty much a straight run you need few of those
boxes to be used as pull boxes.  You might find 4, 5, o4 6" plastic
drain pipe to be sufficient and even less expensive.  Use a "T" every so
many feet for a pull box. That is what I used for years with PVC conduit
slipped inside the end at the tower. Of course with a discontinuity like
that you have to either remember to pull only from small to large of be
very careful. I had about a foot overlap and just wrapped the outside of
the joint with tape to keep critters out.

For me, being a bit frugal, but liking a good, sound installation, I'd
probably go with the thin walled drain pipe for such a long run, but
don't forget the occasional drain hole.

Let your imagination run wild...<:-)) and good luck.

73

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)