Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City - Common Sense

To: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City - Common Sense
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 05:02:07 -0400
Richards wrote:
> My local ham friends made fun of me when I hired an electrician
> to run a second 110 v and also a separate 220 v line to my new
> shack in my new house.   They said I should save the $250 and
> put them in myself.  Easy... no problem...

I wouldn't hesitate to run the wiring and have, both 110 and 220. Then
had the electrical inspector come out and check it.  (required by code)
Any one can put it in, (Unless you hire them), but it has to be
inspected to be legal and make your insurance company happy.  I will add
that I worked as a the equivalent of a multi tradesman in industry for
26 years, so I'm quite comfortable working with electrical circuits and
I worked with stuff a lot bigger than 120 or 240. Some stuff used 1200
amp SCRs at 440 volts.  I set up my own back up 9500 watt generator and
wired it into a manual (home made) transfer switch.  The inspector liked
it.  However one of these days I'd like to put in a commercial 15 or
20KW, natural gas or LP gas fired generator with an automated transfer
switch.  Since the Spring of 2000 I've put over 120 hours on that
generator and we're only about a mile from the substation.
I also installed the natural gas fired "tube furnace" or hangar heater
in my shop and a gas fired dryer in the laundry room.  OTOH I won't go
near plumbing.
> Bill and Bob and the others who have told stories about the
> dangers of electrical current ALL UNDERSTAND why I paid
> someone else to poke around in the circuit breaker box.

Like flying, if you don't understand how to do it then don't do it which
is the right way to approach it.

BUT no mater how much training and experience we may have, every one
makes mistakes, forgets,  and sometimes even get careless.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)