Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Michael Baker <k7ddmjb@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 02:39:34 -0700 (PDT)
Michael,
All residential primaries are at 7.2kV to 7.6Kv and some may be a bit higher.
If there is one or 3 conductor on the pole and a transformer feeding
residential drops the high wire is at a potential somewhere around 7kV.  There
are exceptions.  I have seen some neighborhoods on different arrangements and
even some with everything underground, safest for those of us who want to erect
an antenna.

Problem is that even if  your house is only near a 120 - 240 volt residential
drop you can have up to 2,000 amps of fault current available.
Electricity kills. Especially when supplied from the electric utility's grid.

73,
Bill
AI4WM