Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City

To: "'Blake Bowers'" <bbowers@mozarks.com>, "'Michael Baker'" <k7ddmjb@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:25:23 -0500
I just moved from an older house with exactly what you described.

I examined the lines coming to the house visually with binoculars upon move in.

At which point I called 911 and told them there was a fire hazard and an
electrical hazard in my backyard. Described to them what I
had seen and within mins the fire department was on the scene, along with the
police and the electric company who owned the lines.

The Fire Department pretty much directed the show and Bucket trucks were in the
air within 10 mins of arrival, you see a tree limb
had begun rubbing on the wires and the wire had begun cutting into it. You
could see where the tree was starting to loose it's bark.

About a week later because of the condition of the line itself, it was totally
replaced with a new drop and a new insulator at the
corner of the house since that one had been there from the beginning of time.

No my electric bill did not go up and I did not have any unexplained outages
afterwards Hi Hi

I was also told that these drops are supposed to be examined often and that
someone had dropped the ball and the situation would be
taken care of, thanked for my forwardness by the Fire Department and the
Policeman gave me his card saying if there was anything
else he could do to please call him.

I was glad I called and will do it again if need arises.
The line could have broke into completely if a Texas Thunderstorm had arisen in
the next week or so, which is not unusual  ' round
these here parts'.

I write this to tell you if you have called the electric company alone and they
are hesitant or just 'gutter trash ignorant', once
the fire department is informed and it is on official record, they WILL LISTEN
:0)

My wife said at the time that if I called the electric company they probably
would not listen to me or it would take months for them
to do anything based on her experience with their lack of co-operation on other
things.

I didn't know if my electric company was or not, I just didn't want to hassle
with it, so I cut to the chase.

Bob AD5VJ