Re: [TowerTalk] tower takedown

To: WA3GIN <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower takedown
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:57:41 -0400
WA3GIN wrote:
> I lowered a 100ft Rohn 25 with one cable and 73 Jeep.  The previous
> owner had the tower installed for about 15 years using aluminum ground
> wire...believe it or not. He had a tri-bander and a pair of 8 element
> 2m beams on the top. His house on a a hill top here in NOVA. I
> couldn't believe the thing stayed up Hurrican Eduardo.
>
> I just tied off the steel cable at the 50ft point, ran the cable over
> to the winch on the Jeep. This Jeep weighed in at about 3800lbs.  The
> tower lowered nice and easy. At about 45 degrees the Jeep was pulled
> across the asphalt road and over the curb before the tower reached
> horizontal but we had plenty of cable to allow for that possibility.
> Yes, the brakes were locked and the tires just slid on the pavement.
> This method is not recommended for the light hearted or were space is
> limited...I still can't believe the guy used soft drawn aluminum wire
> for guys...amazing!
It's probably as good as the soft guy wire sold by some outlet/chain stores.
We used some to help align a 50 foot TV tower as we pulled it up.  Two
men pulling on it pulled the 3/16 soft, stranded steel in two when it
got caught on a guy anchor.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)