Re: [TowerTalk] Tower regulatory climate in Fort Collins - Loveland, CO

To: "Dave Harmon" <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower regulatory climate in Fort Collins - Loveland, CO area
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:47:44 -0700
This thread started out as a request for information about the
regulatory environment of one particular area of the country and has
quickly turned into a debate about the use of realtors, hiring
lawyers, and researching CC&Rs.

I think the original requester just wants to know if there are "ham
friendly" cities/twps/counties in the area and if so, where.  For
example, in my area of the country I can tell you exactly what cities
are "ham friendly" and which ones are not.  I can even provide you
links to the online zoning ordinances for most cities around here.  It
took me years to research this info because nobody on lists like this
could tell me.  I'm sure the original poster would like to avoid this
"years of research" and find out quickly what areas to avoid and what
areas are better.  If his experience is like mine...he won't get many
answers to that request.  Why?  Well, among other things, many hams
don't want to tell you that their city is "ham friendly" because they
don't want another ham moving in nearby and causing QRM during every
contest.

It is correct to say that it is VERY IMPORTANT for anyone serious
about putting up a tower to make sure they know the city/county/twp
zoning ordinance like the back of their hand and have the CC&Rs
reviewed before signing on the dotted line, but it would sure be nice
if there were an easier way to find out (in advance) what areas should
be avoided.  I just moved about 3 years ago and I limited my search to
3 cities which are known to be "ham friendly" in the sense that the
city zoning ordinance clearly allows ham towers and numerous hams
already have towers in those cities.  I could rule out at least half a
dozen other cities around here that either have no clear ham tower
regulations OR are known to be hostile to ham tower requests.  I'm
sure the original poster would love to know this type of info about
the area he plans to move to.