Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Heights Towers Aluminum??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Heights Towers Aluminum??
From: "Bob Kellow" <RSKellow@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:11:42 -0500
The lower strength of welded aluminum is recognized in the Aluminum
Association Specifications standard, and the new Heights series used the
lower value in the design and analysis of the tower sections. That standard
makes no mention of 'baking' a weld to regain the lost strength.
Keep in mind that the 'allowable' strength of any material is the value used
in any design. It is arrived at by discounting, with a safety factor for the
material in question, the minimum specified limits of the yield & ultimate
stress for the various types of stress (tensile, shear, & bearing).
Generally the discounted yield strength is the value used for design
purposes.  Thus the design has an inherent 'safety factor against failure,
the main purpose of which is to have some margin against imperfections in
the manufacturing process or other variables.
Of course, if the welding is defective, all bets are off.
I do know that Heights is using the TIG welding process in the new series,
but that still leaves operator skill & technique as a significant variable.
I do not know the methods used to manufacture the 'old' series.

Bob, W5LT