Re: [TowerTalk] Digging the Hole

To: "bill rubin" <brubin2010@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging the Hole
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:31:52 -0700 (PDT)
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Bill Gaines AD8P <ad8p@wcoil.com> wrote:
>
>> Some many months ago I either asked on this reflector or read on it
>> about
>> the particular piece of equipment some of you have used to dig a 3-1/2X
>> 3-1/2X 7-1/2 deep hole for an LM-370 tower. I am at the point I can
>> actually

Probably a minority opinion here:

I have dug by hand three holes that were only 3x3 feet across and 6 or 7
ft deep.  I used a short handled spade, a small pick, a bucket,
a small ladder, and a yardstick to measure 3 feet.  The last
one was a virtually perfect 3x3x6; almost hated to pour concrete into
it.  Exactly 2 yards did it.  BTW, this was dug through waterproof
"cemented hard pan."  No rocks though.  The other 2 holes were dug through
ordinary clay (watered first) but with rocks.

Getting down to 7 1/2 feet may require a helper to pull the bucket
up with a rope and help with the ladder.

It can be done!

If you want to use a machine, get a well digger truck with a 4 ft
auger and make the holes a 4 ft circle.  They will be very accurate.

Rick N6RK