Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing LDF4

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing LDF4
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:14:23 -0500
It's because some hams get a kick out of trying to save a few bucks,
even if it costs more time and money in the long run than doing it
right would have from the beginning.   But anyway, a makeshift splice
may work fine for a few months or years even but if it's outside it
will probably fail eventually unless it is somewhere in an arid desert
region with little or no rain and humidity.   For anyone determined to
try something with brass rod, copper pipe etc., especially if you plan
on burying the feedline, I suggest you pot the interior once you are
done to force out any unintended air dielectric.   Get a squeeze tube
of silicone sealant, and drill two small holes in the pipe near each
other, one to accept the silicone; the other to let air out.   Fill
the air gap until you see silicone coming out the other hole.   Since
it's for HF, two small holes should not be a problem.

73,

rob / k5uj

I wondered if it was the money or just why else the Andrew, etc. connectors
weren't used for making a splice. I have yet to go to a ham swap meet in the
last 10 years or so (including Dayton) where I don't see lots of used 1/2" and
7/8" Heliax connectors (used) going for $2-5 each, new ones for $5-20 each. It
seems like if you're going to go to all the trouble of using good feedline that
good connectors would be used with it. Just my opinion, of course.