Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:18:52 -0400
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/11/2008 6:23:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>

>>  I have a good friend with somewhat limited rotational space  ( does that
>>
> make
> sense? ...small yard ).  He has a yard that does not  allow for long boom
> yagis, stacks, etc.  He would like to have a log  periodic, something along
> the size and boom length of the Force 12 XR-5,  Teledyne, etc.  Anyone have
> some suggestions for a mulit-band ( w/WARC  ) band beams with a boom length
> under 20ft?
>
>     Why get an LP with little gain when you can get a  monobander on all
> frequencies? The 3L SteppIR is the way to go. Get the  30/40 option and he'll
> have
> arguably the best HF antenna around.

No moving parts, no electronics, the only mechanical problems are the
same as all antennas. Ice and wind.
Yes, I'd agree that the StepirIR can give the best all around gain, but
I'd argue that in many cases it's not the best all around antenna. My
tower has taken an unusual number of lightning strikes for Michigan so I
want reliability and longevity. What I put up, I want to put up and
forget, except to use.  For that extra reliability, no moving parts, and
instant frequency change I'm quite happy to settle for a bit less gain.

73

Roger (K8RI)