Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice
From: Mike <nf4l@nf4l.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:16:39 -0400
Richards wrote:
> But how will all the SteppIR control equipment react to a large surge
> from a nearby strike?  I would worry that the control box would puke
> if it received enough static from a big strike either on the tower, or
> close enough to induce big currents or voltages or whatever they
> induce in the control wire on down to the control box.   Wouldn't a
> plain Jane Yagi be more durable in that regard?

The *ONLY* way to totally protect the equipment is to leave it on the
dealer's shelf. The controller can be disconnected like everything else,
altho I don't.

I think a strike such as you envision would destroy more than the
SteppIR controller. You do what you can in the way of protection, then
buy insurance. And knock on wood. I've suffered more wind damage than
anything.

73, Mike