Re: [TowerTalk] CrankUp LM 470 Tower - Help...???

To: "Bill Winkis" <kc4pe@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CrankUp LM 470 Tower - Help...???
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:28:29 -0700
I did not use the ears on my two LM470 towers.  Instead I added two pulleys,
one at the tower and the other at the top of the tilt fixture.  This gave a
pulley advantage of three rather than one and made it a lot easier to crank
up.  This is the configuration that US Tower uses on their 70' crankup.  I
was apprehensive about undoing the cabling and rerouting it and then hoping
that the winch clutch would work properly on the first tilt lowering. For
those unaware the winch does have a free wheel mode that can cause the tower
to freely fall.  I know as it happened to me but I managed to grap the winch
handle and stop it.  The winch clutch mechanism requires a load to "latch?
the clutch.

Besides that concern, there is no pulley advantage when using the
ears--maybe it doesn't need any advantage?

k7puc