Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject) Vertical Antenna Instead ofTower Decision..

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject) Vertical Antenna Instead ofTower Decision....
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:12:54 +0000
Sounds like the Monopole design. I had one up for 40 years ago.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:23:11 -0700> From: radioart@charter.net> To:
> jruing@ameritech.net; donovanf@starpower.net; donhall161@sbcglobal.net> CC:
> TowerTalk@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject) Vertical
> Antenna Instead ofTower Decision....> > A new technique for feeding towers
> has been adopted for Amateur use from the broadcast industry. You drop 3
> heavy gauge wires connected at the top of the tower to within a few feet of
> the bottom. Connect the three wires together with a wire ring around the base
> of the tower and feed that ring, connected to the three wires, with a simple
> L-Network with respect to your radial system.> > Very effecient system.
> Several local DXers us it on 160m and 80m with great results. One tower is
> 140' and the other I know is about 90' with a lot of top loading from various
> beams....> > You can Google this type of tower feed and get more
> information....> > Dennis, k0eoo> > > ---- Don Hall
> <donhall161@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > Use your
 tower with gamma or omega matches on 80/160. Works best with a > >
self-supporting one, but lots of operators use insulated guys.> > > > I made my
160 DXCC with an LM354 loaded that way on an 80x120 lot in the > > middle of
town.> > > > Can be done.> > > > 73 Don K5AQ> > ----- Original Message ----- >
> From: "Richards" <jruing@ameritech.net>> > To: <donovanf@starpower.net>> >
Cc: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>> > Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:03 PM> >
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject) Vertical Antenna Instead ofTower > >
Decision....> > > > > > > Hi Frank --> > >> > > Thanks for the strong reply to
my questions. Based on your comments, I> > > would be better off making higher,
longer, and better wire antennas and> > > working towards a beam on a tower,
instead of looking for a vertical> > > compromise today.> > >> > > The six
month tower estimate is my own estimate based on several> > > factors,
including the time it takes to 1) research and plan the tower,> > > 2) or
 der it and have it arrive - many companies are several months out> > > on
delivery dates, 3) the time it takes to get the local tower expert > > > over>
> > to put it up -- regardless of how much money I MIGHT save, I plan to> > >
hire it done by a licensed, bonded, insured, experienced and collectible> > >
professional I can sue when it falls over. (I am a retired trial> > >
lawyer...I> > > KNOW the liabilities and risks.. ), and 4) it takes time to get
the> > > antenna> > > delivered, assembled, and ready for installation.
Moreover, it is nearly> > > October and we will soon be in the Michigan rainy
season, and then> > > snow flies starting in November for the next 5 months,
and the reliable> > > good tower guys do not install in winter.> > >> > >
Thus,... I figure I could realistically get my tower up starting next May> > >
as I cannot get it all arranged before November. This makes it a> > > winter
project that can go up early spring if I get on it starting now.> > >> >
 > THE REAL DILEMMA> > >> > > My real problem is that I want to work the lower
 > bands and do not have> > > much space for long wires. I can put up a tower
 > and a modest beam...> > > but that will realistically only get me out on 20
 > Meter and higher. I > > > will> > > still be stuck for anything on the low
 > bands... which is why the HyTower> > > and the mono pole vertical (which can
 > both be tuned down to 160 and 80> > > meters) were so appealing on paper.> >
 > antennas until you install something more > > >> permanent.> > >> > Compared
 > to your existing antennas, you'll be disappointed in the> > > performance of
 > any of the alternatives you listed on 20 thru 10 meters.> > >> > >> 2.
 > Accelerate your tower installation.> > >> Its not obvious why a tower
 > installation must ta
 ke 6 months.> > >> > >