Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft MA5B

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft MA5B
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 23:12:56 +0100
I owned an MA5B for several years and was happy with it. Up until then
I'd only ever used dipole/doublet antennas and it was a definite "step
up" in performance. It seemed well constructed and went together easily,
although I know of some folk who have suffered "quality control" issues
- in particular, traps marked the wrong way round. Of course, it's only
a dipole on 17m and 12m, and I found the narrow 20m bandwidth frustrating.

I've also owned the Butternut HF5B. I couldn't say I noticed much
difference in performance, but the MA5B was a lot easier to assemble and
tune.

Since then I've moved to a home-built hexbeam. That is definitely a
further "step up" in performance for little extra size; plus it's a beam
on all five bands. There's a table comparing the two on my web site:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/

Good luck,
Steve G3TXQ