Re: [TowerTalk] Spring between equalizer plate and earth anchor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Spring between equalizer plate and earth anchor
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:55:51 -0400
On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Drax Felton <draxfelton@gmail.com> wrote:

> A local ham told me to get some heavy duty hood springs from a 1950-1960's
> car and put them between my guy wire equalizer plates and earth anchors.
>
> This is to "prevent backlash" during storm force winds.
>

> Any thoughts on this?

Yep, bunch of bull.  If you put a spring between your guys and the anchor,
then they won't develop any more force to hold the tower up when the wind
blows than when everything's quiet.  Either you'll have to use a monster
spring and overtension your guys on a quiet day or the guys don't properly
resist horizontal movement of the tower.

I think if Rohn didn't engineer it to work that way - then don't.

Yup.