[TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?
From: "Greg Davis" <n3zl.radio@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:35:54 -0400
Hello:

I have been attending Clemson since August now and haven't been on HF
since the start of the school year. Unfortunately, the university's
club station is currently not in working conditions. I finally decided
it is time to try to get on the air from my room now that I'm fully
adjusted to college life. My room is on the third floor of the dorm,
so I have a bit of room to work with. At first I was thinking about
trying an end fed sloper to a tree about 30 feet diagonally out from
my window, but I am not sure how well that would work out since I
don't have anything to ground it to up here.

I am wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on an ultra
simple antenna (no matchboxes, etc. required hopefully - directly fed
with just a few feet of coax to the radio without a tuner would be
fantastic) that I could quickly deploy from out of my third floor
window, ideally end-fed. I would like to work 40M and 20M mainly. I
know that's a lot to ask!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

73 de Greg N3ZL