Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:28:25 -0700
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 04:33:58 -0400, Richards wrote:

>As the original question was only asking about internal tuners,
>and not outboard tuners, I think the statement remains true...
>most internal auto tuners are not capable of tuning a random
>wire.

Random wire is VERY generic, and implies no scientific thinking
about what is suitable for the bands in question. That is, the
infinite numbers of monkies and typewriters, or "throw a wire out
the window and pray." My suggestion is for a length that is not
resonant on either band but isn't a serious mis-match on either
band.  That is, application of the fundamental science.

OF COURSE A DEDICATED TUNER IS SUPERIOR TO MOST INTERNAL ONES. DUH!
I own six Ten Tec 229/238 tuners, primarily because I run full legal
power for contesting.  All my rigs have internal tuners, and they
tune all of my antennas just fine, even when running a loaded dipole
on 3900 that's cut for 3550.

73,

Jim K9YC