[TowerTalk] rotor-to-beam shock obsorber problem/solution

To: "Bert Almemo" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rotor-to-beam shock obsorber problem/solution
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:25:26 -0700
From: "Bert Almemo" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:25 PM

> Dave Leeson, W6NL designed a great solution to the rotor-to- Beam shock
> absorber problem, using a rubber BMW steering shaft  coupler....But that,
> as
> you say, was a different cart of apples than the Killer spring-guy wire
> idea.
>
> I have Leeson's Masterpiece, "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas" (covering
> lot on towers, also) in storage, somwhwere, and miss thumbing through it
> once in a while.  A real gem.  It should be a reference in the Bookshelf
> of
> any Tower owner/user.
>
> Manufacturers ought to  incorporate mention of same, so that Leeson's
> great
> idea can  meet the high standards of Steve's prime directive.

Thanks for reminding us where to find this information.  It is on page 7-29.
While watching my Steppir Monstr whip around even in moderate winds I
suspect that it isn't the wind velocity but rather the sudden shock that
causes
the boom to slip on the mast.  I will appreciate additional information from
anyone who has used one.

I am also considering purchasing a folding boom-to-mast plate and would
appreciate information on who makes them and how they work on crankup
towers--I understand that somehow they automatically move to a level
position when the tower is tilted up.

Thanks
k7puc