Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "'Eugene Jensen'" <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease
From: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta4@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:16:47 -0500
I gave one of those wood Rohn thrust bearings that I had saved for many
years to a friend a couple of years ago to use on his tower. The 2X4 block
of wood appeared to just be painted. There didn't appear to be any oil
treatment to the wood. My thinking was that the bearing was made from some
sort of hardwood and that it had a precisely drilled 2 1/16" hole for the
mast and either two or four bolt holes to match the Rohn top plate. It's
been up for about 3 years and so far so good. BTW the Rohn part number was
AB. I don't think its part of their line any longer.

I have a very old, circa 1976, Rohn catalog that has a full page dedicated
to the TB-3 thrust bearing and it doesn't mention that any kind of
lubrication is needed, in fact it doesn't mention lubrication any where on
the page.

Julio, W4HY