Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

To: Steve Maki <StevesLists1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:55:20 -0500
As I've said before, I'm not a structural engineer but I've had enough
engineering courses to understand the basics, not run an analysis and
have asked for input.

The question to me is why would any one guy a self supporting tower?
The only reasonable explanation I can think of is to have it support
more than what it's rated for at that height which may be a little or it
may be a lot.
If that is the case, in this instance we are not talking about
de-rating, but trying to increase the rating to handle more than the
tower did in the self supporting state.

That leads to two situations.  The tower is supporting more load that
what it was designed for in the self supporting state. In addition to
the added weight, and compression forces from the wind load we now have
the forces added by the guys. We've also added more twisting moment with
the larger antenna(s). The guys also have to be properly tensioned to
add the desired resistance to the over turning moment and also prevent
resonance. As was mentioned earlier there is the bending moment between
guys as well.   Also that twisting moment can translate to bending
moment using the guys as a pivot point. You can see this in practice
when running a shaft from the antennas down through the tower to a
rotator at the base. If the thrust bearings are in the wrong locations
and/or the shaft is not heavy enough, the twisting forces will cause the
shaft to kick to the side between the bearings.  I've seen overloaded,
skinny, guyed towers do that as well. This an additional reason self
supporting towers get bigger and heaver as you move down.

So to me that begs the question, is the tower more likely to fail in
this situation than it would be as a self supporting tower loaded within
its ratings.

Certainly we can add resistance to the over turning moment/force by guys
and to some extent even out the compression forces at the base.  That
then leaves the question as to what it does to the failure modes as you
move up the tower.  Does it reduce the margin to failure and leave us
skating closer to the edge or does it make the tower stronger overall.
Those were the questions I was asking originally.

Roger (K8RI)