Re: [TowerTalk] sorry for multiple mails, but had another idea

To: "'jimlux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sorry for multiple mails, but had another idea
From: "Donald Hofmann" <electroubleshooter@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:11:40 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: jimlux [mailto:jimlux@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:12 AM
To: Donald Hofmann
Cc: w9rma@charter.net

Donald Hofmann wrote:

> Also I don't much like the idea of just depending on guys to hold the

> tower up. If they fail the tower comes down. If I mount the steel

> base plate on three bolts at least it won't come down.

But that *is* the whole idea of a guyed tower.  If the guys fail, it

comes down.  It's true that typical tower sections are designed to take

some amount of bending loads (after all, the wind load on the tower

between the ground and the guy point is a bending load, as well as a

shear load)

The tradeoff between self supporting and guyed is that in the self

supporter, you need to have more bending strength in the structure,

which is why they are heavier and wider at the base (which reduces the

load on the components)

The point is: who wants their tower to fall down?  Not me. If I can guy it
as well as make it self supporting then why not?

> You are right, Rohn sticks it too you. They are reasonable on the

> straight tower sections and give you the shaft on everything else.

I think that if you were in the tower manufacturing business, you'd find

that their cost of production is higher on things other than straight

sections.  They sell fewer, the jigs are more complex, and the

engineering is more complex. If Rohn were truly overpriced, then there

would be competitors springing up, and there aren't.  Sometimes, it

seems that these tower parts companies are barely staying in business.

It's not like tower structures are something with a trade secret or

patent protection.

What you forgot is that Rohn has been in the business for YEARS! The jigs
were built years ago. The design hasn't changed in years either, no extra
cost there. The only additional cost is the bending of the tube and I am
sure that they have a jig for that. What it comes down to is that Rohn knows
that you need a top section or base and you will pay their price. As a
matter of fact, all Rohn accessories are overpriced. I don't use their stuff
unless I have too.

Other companies also manufacture these type towers, such as
http://www.amertower.com/amerite_towers.html

4:56 PM