Re: [TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:10:11 -0800
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:55:41 -0800 (PST), Gary Slagel wrote:

>Also, I'm planning on 2 antennas 90 degrees from each other.
>Should I make sure and get a balun on the thing so that I get
the
>uniform pattern I'm expecting?

The Hypower Antennas are good designs. I've had several of their
longer ones in the air and like them a lot. They are a very good
solution for limited space.

See

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/LimitedSpaceAntennasPPT.pdf

You should always use a good common mode choke at the feedpoint,
but NOT a conventional "balun."

See

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Are you thinking of two antennas on the same feedline, or two
dipoles, each on its own feedline?  You would need a transformer
to put two on one feedline, and you would end up with a pattern
that was approximately omni. If you have space, separate
feedlines is much better -- you get 3 dB more gain from the
directivity.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC