Re: [TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] short multiband dipole and 'isolation coils'
From: "Samir Popaja" <7s7v@adamomail.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:56:24 +0100
How these antennas from The Hypower Antennas compare with
antenna made with Unadilla's W2VS high performance traps
on the same band, like 160/80/40 band?

73' Samir

Samir Popaja, 7S7V (SM7VZX)
http://www.qsl.net/7s7v/

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:55:41 -0800 (PST), Gary Slagel
wrote:

>Also, I'm planning on 2 antennas 90 degrees from each other.
>Should I make sure and get a balun on the thing so that I get
the
>uniform pattern I'm expecting?

The Hypower Antennas are good designs. I've had several of
their longer ones in the air and like them a lot. They are
a very good solution for limited space.

See

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/LimitedSpaceAntennasPPT.pdf

You should always use a good common mode choke at the
feedpoint, but NOT a conventional "balun."

See

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Are you thinking of two antennas on the same feedline, or
two dipoles, each on its own feedline?  You would need a
transformer to put two on one feedline, and you would end
up with a pattern that was approximately omni. If you have
space, separate feedlines is much better -- you get 3 dB
more gain from the directivity.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Best Regards