Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Going Open?

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Going Open?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:12:49 -0500
Your point about laying conduit is well taken...  but it can never
prevent my being stupid and careless as I was cutting a path
in an aluminum garden edge....  and slipped and cut the cable
with my hack saw.   That could have been avoided simply by
my paying closer attention to what I was doing.

Ouch.... self-inflicted injuries still hurt.  Maybe more ....
At least when you are a victim of some scoundrel's evil
plan, you have someone else to blame!

Great article on laying the cable conduit - especially helpful photos.
I will save that one for future reference - helps educate the XYL
on what can (should?) be done.   She helped me bury the cable
to the new vertical, and pitches in on these projects.  But it helps
to have a good visual when explaining what is on the agenda.

And...

Your lousy snow has made its way down to US... when you say
"to the South"... of course, that means HERE where I live.   It is
STILL SNOWING - we have several more inches since yesterday!
YOU are supposed to be in the snow belt...  up North, there.

But seriously folks...

Parenthetically, I taped a put a large plastic bag over the balun
and coax connection on my new vertical.   I had planned to put
a 25 inch tall garbage container over it (with a hold in the center
to accommodate the radiator element)  --  do you think I should
drop the antenna and cover it better, or just hang on until the next
thaw... I believe in the adage:  "If you fix something long enough....
eventually you WILL break it."    But I don't want problems with
it buried in three feet of snow.  I suppose the bag might be
enough protection...

Whaddaya think?

Happy trails.