Re: [TowerTalk] Crimper for Belden 9913 - Response DAVIS RF Co.

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimper for Belden 9913 - Response DAVIS RF Co.
From: "Steve Davis -Davis RF Co." <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 23:01:02 -0500
Hi Roger,

  The ctr. cond. on LMR 400 (solid)  and 400 UF (strnd'd)  are both .108;
however, cutting the ctr cond of the stranded  400 UF  , AFTER removing the
dielectric will expand the OD....and sometimes dealing with the stranding
anyway will cause it to expand a bit .
   Ref. whether  crimp pins vs. clamp pins are different:   for the most
part they are different, in the below around .500" OD cables; however, some
mfrs. do have a few sizes and types that they are the same.
   Ref. soldering crimp type pins:   in production modes, crimps are just
crimped due to labor time/cost, but in less than production line app's,   I
, and many before me, recommend a little added security (electrically and
mechanically) by soldering the center pin of crimp types, after crimping.
   As many other things, "a little of everything is involved"... not cut and
dry.
  Bottom line: for most ham use, crimp or clamp:  both are very good
mechanically, when done right and not hard to do it right.    Crimps are
less aggravating and we have excellent tools to use at less than $ 40 for
the tool, $ 23.50 for multi cable die, and this tool is one of few out there
that will let you change the die.  I've used the best commercial production
tools and this one is fine even for repeat production...ratchet release at
proper torque on die, etc.
   And Roger, you are a testimony to a "satisfied crimping ham"   HI

73,   Steve ,  K1PEK,

DAVIS RF Co.,  Div. of Orion Wire Co., Inc.

Wire, Cable, RF Connectors and wire aerial parts.   LMR, Heliax, Eupen

Commercial / Military / & Custom Cable Design

tel:  978-369-1738     Fax:  978-369-3484
www.DavisRF.com