Re: [TowerTalk] Cable management on crankup towers

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable management on crankup towers
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:26:23 -0700
I hope people post their suggestions to the reflector. I've got the same
issues. I have a telescoping tubular crankup (70' Sky Needle), which has
three coax arms. While it might seem that draping the cables would be easy,
in fact I've had trouble with them getting tangled in high winds, getting
caught on the arms, etc.  Also, I don't know how to properly sercure cables
to the coax arms (e.g., tape, ty-wraps, etc., don't seem to do a good job.
Also, there is a sharp bend in the cables when the the tower is cranked
down, at the point where they loop over the coax arms.  I'm running up the
tower three lengths of LMR-400, a rotor cable, a control cable for a SteppIR
yagi, and a control cable for a remote antenna switch. The cable bundle is
nearly two inches in diameter and quite heavy.

73,

Jim W8ZR