Re: [TowerTalk] Motorize a "Hazer"

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorize a "Hazer"
From: Bill Winkis <kc4pe@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 14:32:51 -0500
I have a 60 foot Rohn 25 with a Trolley Hazer on it ...been in use as
a test/build-it tower for over 10 years.... It's nice to build
antennas at waist level, then crank'em up and test etc...you get the picture...

But now the arms and knees are saying no more hand cranking so why
not motorize it....???

Right now its got a 1500 pound 5:1 Fulton on it and no problems, it
pulls a 5/16 cable up 60 feet and down 55 feet with 8 turns still on
the drum...
I figure the greatest weight including Hazer/rotor/antenna would be
less than 150 pounds, so at this point the 1500 pound Fulton hasn't
grunted yet...

Now the Hazer folks sell a 12 volt winch for a 48 foot tower and its
got a 1500 pound 12v horizontal winch  and nobody wants to talk about
a vertical pull figures...

Superwinch has a new 8400 pound horizontal pull that will handle the
120 feet of cable and is positive up and down with brake etc...and
its only $400.00
The gear ratio is 235:1 .... if this is a workable item I would put a
programmable ampmeter in the DC line and set alarm points in it so if something
  gets stuck and the amperage goes up/spikes, the alarm will sound etc....

The only thing I don't like is the 12 volts.....I would have to run
it off the truck in order to get the DC amperage necessary ....

Or maybe the way to go would be to buy a 4500 pound Fulton put a
pulley on  and 50:1 gear reduction ... a 1HP motor wire for up/down
and be done with it..???
Of course the costs going this route would be around 6-700 dollars...

Here are the specs on the Superwinch:

http://www.superwinch.com/LP8500_8_500_lbs.html

Idea's...???

-Bill