[TowerTalk] 90 Degree Adapters (UG 645/U)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 90 Degree Adapters (UG 645/U)
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:43:31 +0000
As I write this I am looking at a cheap 90 degree adapter that caused me
significant pain about a year ago.  In the middle of a QRO contest I noticed
the Alpha's output was becoming erratic.  Great, I thought, something is
failing in "old reliable".  On a hunch I grabbed the 90 degree adaptor on the
input of the antenna tuner and found it too hot to handle - literally, I
received a blister on my thumb.  Of course I swapped it out immediately, or as
quickly as I could as it cooled - the amp went immediately back to its old
smooth, solid output.  The Amphenol 90 degree on the output of the tuner was as
cool as a cucumber.

Moral to me - not all connectors, adapters, whatever, are equal.

Keith
AC9S