Re: [TowerTalk] Off-Brand Connectors and Adapters

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off-Brand Connectors and Adapters
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:15:03 -0500

Jim Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:11:29 -0600, Jim Walker wrote:
>

>> Others may have had success using the less expensive brands.
>>

> Off-brand adapters of all sorts -- elbows, tees, barrels, N to UHF,
> and so on, have caused me LOTS of grief, and they have sometimes
> cost me lots of MONEY. Off brand connectors are also a huge problem.
> Many of them use dielectric material that melts and deforms, even
> with a good temperature controlled iron. Some of them, especially
> cheap DIN connectors use contact material that won't accept solder.

Nearly all the industry is moving to those connectors.  They work well
and last as long as "real connectors", but they are not designed for
soldering manually.  I recently needed some mini DINs,  I found the
Apple printer cords available in various lengths on close out.  I cut
them to length and ended up with two good cables out of each one
purchased.   I soldered regular DINs on the open ends.  Those mini DINs?
Yup, they were the one's with the low temperature plastic dielectric.
Fortunately I didn't have to solder to any of those.

My fear is that as industry moves to the machine assembled (and
soldered) idiotic ROHS connectors, the need for those so called "real
connectors" is likely to drop to the point where they will no longer be
made.  Like "real solder" will be difficult and eventually impossible to
purchase, it's likely "real connectors" will go the same route. I'm
speaking of the mini DIN as opposed to the cheaply constructed UHF and N
connectors.

73

Roger (K8RI)