Re: [TowerTalk] Lead-free solder (was Off-Brand Connectors and Adapters)

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lead-free solder (was Off-Brand Connectors and Adapters)
From: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@hughes.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 22:48:28 -0600
I had to go to lead-free solder for some objects normally used in the hand
(Walking sticks). I got the Ag-Sn stuff and its proper flux at a local
building supplies store. It is a Tin based solder with a small amount of
Silver to make a near-Eutectic mix, around 3%, I think.

I have had absolutely NO problem using it with a torch or Weller guns of two
different Wattages. In fact I sometimes pre-Tin with the Weller before
clamping  assemblies together  and making the final fusion with a torch.

After using the lead-free stuff for that, I also used it for UHF connecters.
Worked fine.

Bill-W4BSG