Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/tower Equipment Box

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/tower Equipment Box
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 00:10:07 -0500

Jerry wrote:
> I'm about to "remodel" my antenna switching/lightning suppression/etc
> system.  Currently this is housed in a small electrical box from the
> local big box store.  I really need a much larger and deeper box, but
> really don't want to pay the price for a NEMA-type large box.  Anyone

NEMA boxes come in a number of models. The ones with the hinged and
gasketed door are a bit pricey, but depending on conditions, may be
worth it.  I think these are the NEMA 1, while the NEMA 4 are just a box
with a screw on cover at mybe 20% the price of the model one.  They are
primed, come in a variety of sizes, with a 10 X 10 X 6 being around  $20
*IIRC*. A good coat of paint and some Silastic RTV (TM) and it's one
whale of a rugged box that can be grounded.

IF you can weld and have a source for steel, it takes time along with a
bit of paint to make your own.

I stay away from plastic as I want my relay boxes grounded. All coax
enters the boxes through bulkhead connectors.
> have any ideas and/or where to work.  A few hours of "googling" produced
> no results.

Check the less expensive NEMA boxes and see how they are priced.
Otherwise you can also use an aluminum chassis with a cover. Again,
paint is pretty important.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)